An Elevation Certificate (EC) is a form that was developed by FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency). Its purpose is to act as the official record to document the elevation of a building. The form must be completed by a professional land surveyor or engineer.

Is the property in a flood zone?
Looking at a map doesn’t always answer this question. If the property is not located near an area of risk of flooding, then according to the FIRM (Flood Insurance Rate Map), in most cases your lender will not require you to carry flood insurance.

If property is close to a flood zone.
Whether too close or in a flood zone, your lender will most likely require you to carry flood insurance.

Learning more about Elevation Certificates.
Here are more resources that address the many issues that surround the details of an EC:

Learn more about FEMA Federal Emergency Management Agency at